You'll find a complete list of my positions by clicking here, or scroll down for my resume.
I am an award-winning journalist with more than 30 years' experience, both in front of and behind the camera. In addition to hosting my own talk show and reporting live from red carpet events, I have several years of hands-on digital content creation and editing experience and I spent more than a decade in the booth as a television news line-producer. I've accumulated seven years experience as a newsroom manager, worked for several years as an assignment editor, segment producer and writer, and I spent a solid three years in the field as a network field producer and videographer. I have done almost every job in broadcast television news, from ripping scripts to running prompter to running a newsroom.
For the last three years, I've worked in online news media, with my writing, reporting, videos and commentaries appearing on as many as seven sites within the past year and a half.
My work has always involved relations with the public, national and local government and federal and local authorities, as well as the news media. My network of connections includes key bookers, producers and news managers coast in every major metropolitan area, coast to coast.
I am also a social media maven, with 10K+ connections and followers around the world. I've managed the Facebook, Twitter and homepages for half a dozen news outlets, going back to 1995. I blog, as well, at lifeafterdawn.com
On the digital front, I'm skilled at creatIng effective, interesting and entertaining videos as well as PowerPoint and Keynote presentations.
A wiki I created for CNBC was nominated for an Emmy award. I already have two of those gracing my mantle, among other prestigious honors.
Ten Specialties That Set Me Apart:
- Coordinating information and generating worthy ideas.
- Designing, producing and developing new multimedia that crosses platforms and is not unidirectional.
- Meeting deadlines, writing effective promotional material, fact checking.
- Creating memorable content to capture eyes, ears, hearts and minds; spotting mistakes before the public sees them.
- Interacting effectively with the public, authorities and media representatives.
- Recruiting, coaching and disciplinary expertise.
- Recognition and development of exceptional talent and ability.
- Persistent and driven to succeed. Having a plan B is never enough; I always have a backup plan for my backup plans.
- Years of experience writing, shooting and editing my own independent multimedia video.
- Yo hablo Español.
More about me: I love cooking, traveling and anything to do with beach, sand and surf. I'm also a mom to three kids.
ONLINE PORTFOLIO: http://dawnennis.weebly.com
DIGITAL JOURNALISM EXPERIENCE:
Freelance Writer, Editor, Video Producer March 2016-present
Work Remotely for Various Outlets
- Author of hundreds of articles, creator of dozens of videos and contributor of other content garnering tens of thousands of clicks and attracting hundreds of thousands of viewers for 9 advertiser-supported outlets: The Daily Beast, NBCNews.com, NewNowNext, them, GoMagazine, HuffPost, The Advocate, Into, Outsports.
Assistant Editor May 2016-July 2017
Worked Remotely for Q Digital, Inc., San Francisco
- Assistant editor for LGBTQ Nation. Managed 5 writers, copyedited dozens of articles, reported hundreds of stories, live tweeted breaking news, produced a dozen branded content videos that earned company $120K.
- Boosted readership 25 percent, grew social media followers 71 percent and increased video traffic by 642K.
News Editor 2014-2016
The Advocate Magazine, Los Angeles
- Managed 8 staff and 6 freelance writers, edited and reported hundreds of news content items.
- Grew readership 44 percent, expanded social media followers 68 percent and created new revenue stream of $40K-$70K per month by introducing advertiser-supported video to site.
- Shared Folio Award, Best News Consumer Website of 2016, Maggie Award for Best Web Publication, NLGJA Excellence in Profile Writing Award and NLGJA Excellence in Social Media Award.
ON-AIR AND PRINT JOURNALISM EXPERIENCE:
Freelance Booker October 2018-present
MSNBC, New York, NY
- Secured highly-sought experts, newsmakers and analysts to appear on-air. On call and vacation relief.
On-Air Host, Producer, Nonlinear editor March 2017- present
WHC-TV, West Hartford, Connecticut
- RiseUP with Dawn Ennis, its most popular talk show. Ranked #1 with 3K views. Doubled subscribers.
Medical Reporter October 2017-present
Work Remotely for Mount Sinai Health System, New York, NY
- Interview world-renowned doctors and researchers for reports on groundbreaking medical advances.
National Assignment Editor 2008-2014
ABC NEWS, New York, NY
- Led the overnight team. First network staffer on scene in Newtown, Connecticut. Coordinated reporting on Boston Marathon Bombing, MH-370 Disaster. Superstorm Sandy, and Aurora Movie Theater Shootings.
- Shared Edward R. Murrow Awards for Overall Excellence, for coverage of Tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, and both Murrow and Peabody Awards for coverage of Superstorm Sandy.
- Wrote, edited copy for Good Morning America Weekend, including Death of Whitney Houston.
Executive Producer 2007-2008
POLITICO, Arlington, Virginia
- Created “POLITICO TV,” pilot for Sunday talk show.
- Organized coverage of 2008 presidential campaign and assisted in other political coverage.
News Producer 2003-2007
WEEKEND TODAY Show, NBC Universal, New York, NY
- Managed overnight breaking news coverage, commissioning reports by NBC News correspondents, anchors, producers and staffers in bureaus around the world.
- Managed, scheduled staff of 30, supervised evening newscast and coordinated special events.
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
WTIC Fox61, Hartford, CT
- Freelance Executive Producer for the Fox61 Morning Show. Hired to fill-in after the staff EP quit the week before the start of the crucial March 2009 ratings period.
- Previously: freelance writer and line producer on Fox61 Morning Show.
WTLV/WJXX-TV, Jacksonville, FL
- Multimedia Executive Producer, #2 newsroom manager in charge of First Coast News Information Center.
WJXT-TV, Jacksonville, FL
- Executive Producer of Newscasts, supervised expanded newscasts and recruited team that transformed traditional CBS affiliate into number one local, independent news station in U.S.
- Shared Edward R. Murrow and Associated Press Awards.
WFTS-TV, Tampa, FL·
- Launched new ABC affiliate as line producer of 11 p.m. newscast.
- On-air reporter covering 1996 Olympic Park Bombing in Atlanta.
WCBS-TV, New York ·
- Line produced first bulletin of September 11th attacks, shared Edward R. Murrow Award.
NY1NEWS, New York
- Launched NYC’s first 24/7 TV news station, produced coverage of first attack on World Trade Center.
WNYW-TV Fox5, New York, KTTV Fox11, Los Angeles and WWOR-TV, Secaucus, New Jersey·
- Produced, wrote and edited news copy, consumer news, sweeps and long-form features.
- Emmys for Outstanding News Special and Outstanding Newscast.
- Writers Guild Award and Society of Professional Journalists Deadline Club Award for Writing.
CNN, New York
- Managed assignment desk, wrote copy, covered Tiananmen Square, Pan Am Bombing, Achille Lauro Hijacking, Rock Hudson, Black Monday, first space shuttle launch after Challenger disaster.
1010WINS, New York
- Freelance News Production Assistant.
Child Actor, Model, New York
- Clients include AT&T, Safeguard, Colgate, Hershey, Campbell’s Soup, Stove Top Stuffing, Hasbro, MetLife, New York Life Insurance, PBS, Sears and JC Penney, among others.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, School of Visual Arts, New York.
- Received Full Scholarship, Graduated with Honors.